Week 7 of 14. Halfway there. And what better way to celebrate it than with water? This past weekend a group of us BYU students traveled out to Wadi Mujib by the Dead Sea to go on a 2-hour hike through a water filled canyon. I cannot express how good it felt to get out and be in nature, surrounded by plenty of water and good company.
Although I should have appreciated the abundance of water just a little more.
This morning I woke up around 7:30 am as usual to finish some unfinished homework. Before brushing my teeth and after going to the bathroom I lathered my hands with soap, only to turn on the faucet without the slightest trickle of water.
Yes, we ran out of water again. What day is it? Tuesday. When do they fill up our tank? Sunday. How badly do I want to take a shower? Very.
While I was deciding whether or not to cry or simply wipe off my soapy hands on a towel, I decided that I should probably inform my roommates who had just woken up to work on wajibat. So I walked into our living room, hands smelling as fresh as our yellow, antibacterial soap, and announced very eloquently: "Guys, we have no water. It is Tuesday." Jaws dropped and a few cries came out of Egypt as we exchanged looks of disbelief. That's when things got a little crazy:
"Oh my gosh... that means we have five days until they re-fill our tank."
"Well, when you say it like that..."
"On a lighter note, my ex has a girlfriend who is a model"
"Is Dana out running?"
"Yes"
"Hope she doesn't plan on showering when she gets back..."
"All I have to say is that it is a good thing we're not kissing anybody..."
"When in doubt, take a shower the day before you want to take a shower."
"Where are the cameramen? This is like a sick reality TV show."
Luckily we were able to call and wake up our Egyptian Haaris to help us out. After about one hour our reserve water kicked in, but about five minutes ago I noticed it trickling again.
But, no worries. Like one of my lovely roommates pointed out: "At least these experiences, whether good or bad, have brought us together." So true, and I would have it any other way. Because I cannot imagine going through the days where Arabic seems impossible and the washer won't open with all of your clothes in it, alone. Good thing I have several, good-humored roommates who I can laugh, cry, and joke around with.

That's a truly epic photo. I have to say, I didn't get anything like that.
ReplyDelete